I’m kind of on a kick lately with bite sized foods.
I’m a snacker, so it’s no surprise I continually look for ways to ensure those snacks are more healthy food options than say…cookies.
These I happen to love because they can be made in advance and used for a quick afternoon snack, an adorable way to feed little hands and a super EASY grab and go breakfast. No mo’ scuses about not having time to eat.
I’ve been tasked with increasing my protein, A LOT, by multiple nutritionists. So I set about thinking of ways to make some of my favorite foods into snacks because I LOVE a good snack in between my lunch and dinner…probably because I eat lunch way too early when runger sets in.
High Protein Veggie Bites
I’ve made these a few times now, so the instructions are updated a bit compared to some of the photos, based on what I’ve learned!
What’s with the cereal?? I LOVE quiche, which not only involves eggs and veggies, but a crust. But I don’t really need the extra calories in a bite sized snack, so I found that by simply topping it with some crunch I got all the flavor sans gluten and calories.
- 6 Eggland’s Best Eggs
- Shredded carrots
- Favorite veggies (broccoli, tomato and red pepper in mine)
- 2 TBSP So Delicious plain Almond Plus Milk
- Gluten free crunchy cereal, I used Chex
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
- Crack eggs in to bowl (you can use 3 whole eggs, 3 egg whites if you want to cut calories some, but I use the whole thing)
- If carrots are not pre-shredded, just use a peeler to shave off strips into the bowl
- Dice veggies into small pieces and toss in bowl
- Add in milk and give everything a quick stir
- Spray mini muffin tin (makes 12) or large muffin pan (makes 6)
- Use a ladle to put mixture into each tin
- Bake for 12 minutes
- Remove and crumble cereal on top, bake for another 2 minutes
- Slice avocado and serve alongside egg bites
You can use the muffin liners if it will make it easier to take with you on the go, but I actually liked just spraying the pan and skipping the liner. These will hold up and not fall apart as you take a bite, so no utensils needed for busy beavers!
What’s your favorite high protein snack?