Each year the half marathon continues to attract more runners and I think the reasons are obvious…it’s just far enough to feel like your racecation is justified, but not so far that half marathon training feels like it consumes your life.
No matter your reason for talking 13.1, which is a half marathon, not “just a half” or a mini marathon or one of those shorter marathons, as you might hear from your non-running friends, it’s worth taking to heart a few lessons that will make the experience better.
RunToTheFinish now contains thousands of articles on running, so I’ve compiled some of the most useful half marathon training tips, tricks and lessons for you here! The search bar at the top of the site will help if there are other topis like a specific running injury (hello IT Band Syndrome) you’d like help to resolve.
- 18 Things I Wish I’d Known Before My First Half
- Secrets to Increasing Endurance
- How to Use a Practice Race
- Running Gear Must Haves
- How to Begin Implementing Speed Workouts
- Explaining Those Race Week Aches and Pains
- Take 10 Minutes Off your Half Marathon PR
- How to Train to Run a Sub 2 Hour Half Marathon
- How to Handle Bad Runs During Training
Road to a PR Series
You’ve already conquered your first 13.1 and now it’s time to take things up a notch. You’ve go your eyes on a shiny new Personal Record!
Checkout the entire Road to a PR series designed to take you from finding the right goal through training and even race day logistics!
Choosing your race pace >>
Picking the right race for your goal >>
Creating your training plan >>
Why you need a base building phase>>
Safely adding speed work >>
Why you need a peak week >>
How to taper the right way >>
Race day strategy >>
9 ways to manage race day nerves>>
Half Marathon Training Plans
Are you looking for a half marathon training plan to follow? Depending on your goals you might do just fine with one of the standard training plans, you might have enough experience to create your own or it might be time to work with a running coach.
A few of my personal favorite plans that are out there already:
- Train Like a Mother – realistic plans for busy people that won’t leave you injured
- Brain Training for Runners – more demanding training plans, but with great logic around them
- Maffetone Method – if you’re constantly run down from training, this is my preferred method
Bonus: 8 Running Coaches provide their best tip for your first half marathon.
Have more half marathon questions? Let me know so I can dive in and create content to help answer them!
Other ways to connect with Amanda
Instagram Daily Run Fun: RunToTheFinish
Facebook Community Chatter: RunToTheFinish
Get more running tips: Pinterest