Kinesiology tape can be used with various injuries because it is going to help improve and increase circulation. You may hear KT tape referenced a lot but remember that it is just one brand out of many Kinesiology tapes for you to try. I prefer to use the brand Rock Tape because once it is applied I can wear it for days on end without it moving!
Here I’ll give you a step-by-step taping method that helps reduce swelling that may be caused from surgery or an injury.
Applying Kinesiology Tape for Swelling
When you have swelling from an injury you are going to have less movement which can delay the start of physical therapy because you are holding fluid in the joint. The biggest difference when using tape for swelling is that you are not creating any tension to the tape when applying it.
Remember when cutting the tape to size, make sure to round the corners to avoid the tape getting caught on your clothing.
Here’s a quick look at the steps:
- Measure the amount of tape needed from the top of your knee down to the top of your shin
- Clean (and dry) your skin with hand sanitizer for the best stick!
- Spidering the tape: fold the tape in half leaving an anchoring point, cutting the piece into three strips
- Peel off the top piece and apply the anchor at the top of your knee
- Place the spider pieces along the outer, middle and inner sides of your knee
- Remember, there is no tension when applying the tape. Just lay it down so that it sticks to your skin
My preference when taping for knee swelling is to use two pieces of Kinesiology tape. Follow these steps but place each spidered piece of tape so that they are anchored from both sides of your thigh curving around your knee.
What are the benefits of using Kinesiology tape?
- Improves blood flow
- Increases lymphatic drainage
- It can provide joint support
- It does not impede your range of motion. Meaning while wearing the tape there is nothing to encumber you like a brace or sleeve as you’re trying to move.
Kinesiology tape is going to tug a little on your skin which will send a message to your brain that it can move the fluid and activate circulation.
Personally, I have had the best luck with getting the waterproof versions to stay on longer. My goal is to put it on and have it last for days and days, no matter how much I sweat and shower.
Other ways to connect with Amanda
Instagram Daily Fun: RunToTheFinish
Facebook Community Chatter: RunToTheFinish