Sponsored by Zappos
The ASICS GEL Kayano was first released in 1993 and due to its popularity is now on the 27th edition! I got my first pair with the special edition NYC marathon logo in 2012 (yup the year it was cancelled).
What makes this shoe so special? I’m so very glad you asked.
This shoe was introduced as one of their first for the “high mileage runner” and clearly has a loyal following for a stability shoe.
With the slightly higher heel to to ratio, it’s especially ideal for runners who have Achilles Pain or ankle pain while running, along with overpronation, because it will reduce the stress on those areas.
ASICS GEL Kayano 27 Review
If you were a fan of the Kayano 26, they didn’t do any major overhauls with this version, just a few tweaks that they believe will make it even better.
The basic details to help you see what this shoe is about.
- Weight: 9 oz (some men’s over 11 oz)
- Drop: 10 mm (according to Zappos, 13 according to ASICS website which appears to be women’s specific)
- Overpronation (foot rolling inward), stability shoe
- Good for low arches or flatter feet
- Heel locking system that helps keep your foot in place
- Gender specific features (a huge feature!)
- Felt true to size
You can find the newest Kayano on Zappos in a variety of colors and sizes. Personally, I went with the Techno Cyan/Sunrise Red knowing that red is supposed to make you run faster. :) I’ll take any advantage.
But of course you don’t have to be as flashy, it’s also available in these colors:
- Black/Pure Silver
- Mako Blue/Hot Pink
- White/Pure Silver
I’ve told you this before, but I LOVE ordering from Zappos because not only do they tend to have more comprehensive information on shoes than you’ll often find on the brand website, but fast, free-shipping for members and 365 return policy just makes it easy.
Right now when it might be tougher to find a place to try on shoes, their return policy is really convenient.
My first steps in this shoe made me think of the word plush. It felt like great cushioning under my foot, in the heel and on the tongue. The heel locking system could definitely be felt.
Due to some of the gender specific features the GEL Kayano 27, those who want a stability shoe should be extra happy. Men and women don’t have the same foot structure, it’s why brands have a mold of each shoe in men’s and women’s.
But the Kayano 27 has a few added features:
- Trussitic System in mid-foot provides more forward propulsion for women
- Additional 3mm of foam in the women’s shoe
- Softer Flylyte foam in the women’s shoe
Who Needs a Stability Shoe?
The first goal is always to ensure there isn’t a muscle imbalance or weakness in your hips or glutes causing your foot to roll inward when you land. Once that has been ruled out, a stability shoe can help to prevent knee pain, hip pain and a number of other issues.
- Is the wear pattern on the inside of your shoe more than elsewhere?
- When standing in your running shoes do you notice your foot falling inward?
- Do you have low arches or flat feet?
Looking for more reviews to find the best things for your run?
Checkout our full page of my must have running gear reviews and guides to save you time searching and money! I share what’s worked for me and fellow runners, along with what wasn’t worth the price tag.
A few common requests for running accessories:
- Brooks vs ASICS running shoes – which is right for you
- Best Marathon Shoes (hint this is one of them!)
- Asics Gel Nimbus 22 review
- Asics GT-2000 Review
- Best running socks (lightweight to compression)
More gear you want to know about? Let me know.
Other ways to connect with Amanda
Instagram Daily Fun: RunToTheFinish
Facebook Community Chatter: RunToTheFinish