Finding healthy new ways to indulge my sweet tooth has become an ongoing experiment in food science around our house. Understanding the drawbacks of a diet high in sugar, I started by testing out the infamous black bean brownies, but never quite found a recipes that was both healthy enough to meet my standards and tasty enough to pass the husband test.
A few more experiments and I landed on my better dairy free, egg free, gluten free version of a pumpkin dessert! Basically this dessert hummus can also be used as the base for creating my high protein chocolate chip cookie dough!
This low sugar treat is filling, easy to make in advance and no one will ever guess it was made with beans (hello plant based protein!)!
I also like to sneak veggies in any place that I can! Not to hide them, but because most of us don’t get as many servings as we would like each day, so this tasty dessert has 3 servings!
Introducing my favorite holiday treat: pumpkin cranberry dessert hummus!
- 1/4 cup Almond milk Unsweetened Vanilla
- 2 cups (1 15 oz cachickpeas
- 1/2 cup canned pumpkin I used 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 dropper vanilla stevia
- Dash of cinnamon
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 2 cups whole cranberries
- Cook chickpeas or drain canned chickpeas
- Add chickpeas and all other ingredients to food processor
- Mix until smooth, though some small chunks may remain
- Move to serving dish
- Hand stir in bag of cranberries.
This little treat can be served with cinnamon pita chips, apple slices or graham crackers.
*If you are craving a muffin then add 1/8 tsp baking powder, drop scoops in to a muffin tin and bake!
- Or turn it in to vegan chocolate chip cookie dough
- Or checkout these other high protein dessert options
- Or learn how I finally conquered sugar!
Favorite kind of hummus??
Other ways to connect with Amanda
Instagram Daily Fun: RunToTheFinish
Facebook Community Chatter: RunToTheFinish
Get more plant based recipe ideas: Pinterest