Have you wondered lately if fat is just in vogue or if it’s really and truly something you need to be eating more of??
For hundreds of years, people in other countries have known that the value of healthy fats is incredible! It’s part of why every meal you sit down for in Europe has a beautiful dish of Olive Oils from Spain to eat with the bread or the veggies! Spain is the world’s olive oil leader, producing 1,400,000 tons per year, with 2.5 million hectares of olive groves and almost 300 million olive trees, they have over 260 different olive varieties.
In fact, as athletes we can take a lesson from tennis star Rafal Nadal by incorporating it more in our lives…with say an easy, delicious recipe like tacos!
Skinny Fish Tacos
We all know my requirements are veggie packed, healthy and easy!
I admit this one took maybe 5 minutes longer than my normal dine in dash, but it’s so worth it. Checkout the ingredients below to find out more of the benefits.
Skinny Fish Tacos
- 2 yellow squashes
- 1 small tomato
- 1 red onion
- 1 lime
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 can Safe Catch Tuna
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oils from Spain
- 6 corn tortillas check for gluten free or go Udi's
- 2 TBSP Hope Hummus Guacamole
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 450
- Slice squash length wise into 1/2-inch slices
- Slice tomato
- Peel onion and slice in to 1/4 rings
- In large bowl place the veggies, 1 tbsp Olive Oils from Spain, and the spices
- Toss to coat completely
- Spread veggies out on a sprayed baking sheet
- Place in over 15 minutes
- While cooking, open the tuna!
- Combine with fork tuna, 1 tbsp Olive Oils from Spain, guacamole
- Remove veggies from oven
- Fill your taco and squeeze lime over tip.
Bonus: Did you know that you can cook corn in the microwave?!
David loves corn so this discovery made my year! The husk actually steams the corn, so you can place it in for 4-6 minutes. Let it cool for at least 2 minutes and it’s ready to eat!
Why These Ingredients?
Let’s dive in to what makes this a great recovery meal!
I mentioned Safe Catch in my Healthy Pantry post, but I truly love that one tiny can is so high in protein and you can have it on hand at any time!
- Safe Catch specifically is the lowest in mercury on the market
- 150 calories and 20 grams of protein in one can
- High in iron, selenium and B vitamins (great for energy and recovery)
- Omeag-3 fatty acids stimulate leptin which tells the brain you’re full
Olive Oils from Spain
Can you believe I’ve never spent much time talking about olive oil and why it’s so great for athletes?? Watching Spanish tennis player Rafael Nadal in the Olympics was such a fabulous reminder that if you take care of your body and feed it well, you can keep doing what you love, despite injuries there is a way back!
In fact, Nadal after winning gold in the doubles, will be back at it in the U.S. Open in NYC starting August 29th! And as he said himself on social media “It’s important to eat well before practice.“This Spaniard knows that not all olive oil is created the same, did you know that?! So don’t be out just buying any old cheap stuff, pay attention and look for Olive Oils from Spain.
With their spectrum of flavours, aromas and textures of Olive Oils from Spain are unique to all those in the world and focused on providing QUALITY.
Tons of studies have shown these lasting benefits:
- shown to reduce oxidative damage
- guards against heart disease
- high in Vitamin E – good for skin, eyes and brain health
- improves blood pressure in men
- helps in sustained weight loss
Break out of your zucchini summer rut and use some yellow squash.
- Vitamin A and C
- Fiber, folate, magnesium
- Beta carotene and lutin to help eyes
- Manganese can help ease PMS
While I am not someone who likes a raw tomato, roast them or put them in something and I can’t get enough.
- Lycopene protects skin from sun damage
- Good course of calcium for us non-dairy folks
- Can reduce risk of kidney stones
I know they create an odor throughout the house to chop, but that color alone should tell you they’re healthy!
- Quercetin: anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, and anti-inflammatory
- Suppress or prevent colds (the one’s that happen right before a race!)
- Allicin: shown to prevent cancer and improve heart health
- Chromium: helps control blood sugar levels
What can I say, they’re easy to customize for the cheese and meat eater in this house, plus so many good benefits from all these spices and ingredients!
Do you like fish?
How often do you use olive oil?
Other ways to connect with Amanda about Running!!
This post is sponsored by Olive Oils of Spain. All thoughts and crazy recipes are my own.