This post is sponsored by Planters.
A few weeks ago, I copped to the fact that I am indeed a lazy healthy eater.
It felt pretty good to get that of my chest and make it known that lazy can still be tasty and totally healthy!!
Today I want to share with you another of my post summer run snacks! It absolutely delights my taste buds and my body, which includes one of my favorite protein ingredients: peanuts – with 7g of protein per 1 oz. serving!
In fact this treat is one that many of us PAID for as kids when that special little chime of the ice cream truck graced our street.I‘m sharing Martha’s photo because well mine were actually eating too quickly by visiting guests. Lesson learned, when planning food photography place a note with them in the freezer :)
Ingredients for 4 bananas pops…as if you couldn’t guess
- 2 Bananas cut in half
- 1.5 cups dairy free chocolate chips (or I used a super dark chocolate that’s dairy free)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts
- 4 Straws or popsicle sticks
- Place Planters peanuts in a small baggie and use a mallet to crush
- If eating the same day, place straw into banana and place in freezer for 2 hours (I liked to break the banana in half and make smaller sticks). If eating later you can freeze after rolling
- Remove bananas from freezer
- Melt chocolate and coconut oil at 50% power in microwave
- If you pour the chocolate into a jar you can dip the banana straight down for full coverage
- Roll in crushed peanuts
- Place on a baking sheet lined with wax paper
- Either eat if pre-frozen or place in freezer for up to 3 days
WHY THIS ROCKS FOR RUNNERS?
I’m a super fan of this snack for runners, for lots of reasons!
Obviously we love the magnesium that bananas provide, but Planters peanuts also contain 7 grams of protein per 1 oz serving making them a great nutrient dense snack!This post-workout treat is perfect in the summer to refuel and cool down after a hot run! Additionally, I specifically used Planters Lightly Salted Dry Roasted Peanuts which are not high in sodium.
It’s a better for you snack option!!
Containing heart-healthy “good” fats that will keep you feeling satiated, Planters Dry Roasted Peanuts also help keep your blood vessels supple!! For runners this means ensuring you are pumping blood to all those muscles and running strong!
Bananas: Magnesium for muscle cramps and good for the mood
Peanuts: Heart healthy fats, necessary to replenish muscle, protein to keep you satisfied
Chocolate: Basic ingredient of life. Also this is dairy free, which is KEY! We want the flavinoids, not the inflammation.
Doesn’t this recipe just make you insanely happy?! It’s a post run snack I look forward to during the summer because it’s going to satisfy all the dreaming I’ve been doing of sweets during the run with wholesome or smart choices.
Man does it get any better?!
Does this remind you of childhood?
What’s your go to after a hot run?
Other ways to connect with Amanda
**Scientific evidence suggests, but does not prove, that eating 1.5 ounces per day of most nuts, such as peanuts, as part of a diet low in saturated fat and cholesterol and not resulting in increased caloric intake may reduce the risk of heart disease.