Leading up to ING Miami this weekend, I am focusing a little more on carbo loading than I have in the past. It’s easy to think carbo loading means daily pasta and white bread, but I know those foods leave me feeling lethargic and unsatisfied so it’s all about about the spaghetti squash, sweet potato, Food For Life Gluten Free bread…and oh yes some Love Grown Granola!! Love some of the tips on this I’m getting from ThriveForward.
In looking for a sweet treat a few weeks ago, I stumbled upon what is now one of my favorite treats. It is higher in calories than what I often do, but everything in it is gluten free, dairy free, egg free and has consistently left me feeling really satisfied after enjoying a small portion!
- 3/4 cup Once Again Almond Butter
- 1/4 cup Once Again Honey
- 1/2 scoop Vega Sport Performance Protein Powder mixed with water (you could use Vega Energizing Choc-A-Lot Powder too) Go for Vanilla or Chocolate depending on what strikes your fancy
- 2 cups Love Grown Granola (or go crazy and use Chocolate Goodness my fav)
1. Heat nut butter and honey in the microwave for about 30 seconds
2. Mix in Vega
3. Stir in granola- make sure you have broken down any lumps. Do this by rolling over it in a bag with a rolling pin
4. Press mixture in to a glass dish or pan with wax paper
5. Chill in refrigerator for at least one hour before cutting in to bars (12-18 depending on size)
- Chia seeds – Love this if I am using them before a run
- Dried cranberries
- Shredded Coconut
- Shredded carrots — yup I find ways to put veggies in everything now.
Notes: I use Love Grown because it is gluten-free and I know a lot about the company, so I trust the quality (uh no chemicals) of the product and respect the company. I also use Once Again Nut Butter for much of the same reasons, there is nothing in that jar but nuts!
I am grateful for continuing to learn more about how to feed my body in a way that feels good, tastes good and is fun.