This was my first time every “breading” anything because I always assumed that meant fatty or added calories. But with the right ingredients that’s just not the case. A little whole wheat flower, egg whites and some breadcrumbs made from great whole wheat bread.
I was tempted to make my own sauce as well, but Amy’s is a fantastic brand with a short list of ingredients so I shortened by kitchen time by using it and pre-sliced mushrooms.
Next up was a great find from Spencer’s Market (you have to check this site out if you like finding new natural foods). It’s a whole wheat spinach pasta with over 30 grams of protein per serving. I couldn’t possibly eat what is listed as a serving, but it’s all good!
Spaghetti and breaded eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 cup whole wheat flour or almond flour
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 slices stale whole wheat bread pulsed in processor
- 2 cups spinach
- 1 container mushrooms
- Whole wheat pasta
- Salt/pepper to season
1. Prep 3 bowls for your breading
2. Slice eggplant
3. Drag slice through wheat, egg white, breadcrumbs
4. Place in a single layer on a baking sheet - 10 min at 375, flip 10 more min
5. Cook pasta
6. In a pan add a little oil and sauté mushrooms, spinach
Serve it up!!
My rating: Good for a once in awhile new dish
David’s rating: Loved it. He doesn’t usually go for my meat free dishes, but I only got one serving of this!
I’d love to hear your eggplant recipes or if you try this let me know!
I am grateful for learning to consistently slow down and enjoy food.